Rye on the Plaza

You Sweet Thing, You

It’s appropriate that I’m writing this on International Women’s Day (even though I decry the need for this “holiday” which has been around since the 1900’s) because I’m writing about Rye’s desserts, all crafted by Chef Megan Garrelts. You probably know she is again a James Beard Semifinalist for Outstanding Pastry Chef. Her previous nomination was for the pastry (a very broad category really covering everything from bread to doughnuts to cakes and elegant concoctions) at Bluestem, the other restaurant she co-owns with her husband. Her pastry expertise and creativity is the foundation of all the desserts at all three restaurants – to say she’s busy is an understatement.


But on to the goodies . . . The Rye dessert menu has a little something for everyone. There is the famous lemon meringue pie of course, sprightly tart and sweet and in my opinion, even as a confirmed chocoholic, the perfect ending to any meal. Her MOKAN pie is another favorite – hers of course has Missouri pecans and Kansas black walnuts – and this recipe was even published in Food and Wine. Making your own pie crust immediately told me I should continue to order it at the restaurants. The dark hazelnut brownie, especially topped with house-made ice cream, almost made me cry. So good. But so all are the other pies, the Kentucky bourbon cake, and the house-made sorbets. Maybe I should just say everything, already.

 Although I have to say I laugh when I see the cheeses on this menu because who could possibly want cheese for dessert (unless you’ve had dessert for your first course and even then . . .), I do like the fact that after dinner wines and cocktails are listed there. Not everyone does that yet, and it makes it so much easier to royally finish off an evening. The Garrelts have two cookbooks out and that lemon pie recipe is in their newest book, published in 2015, Made in America: A Modern Collection of Classic Recipes. Again, I think I’ll just keep ordering it.

 In terms of International Women who should be recognized, Megan Garrelts is right up there. And not just on one day a year. You should definitely leave room for dessert at Rye.

Rye Plaza
4646 JC Nichols Parkway 
Kansas City, MO 64112 
Ph. 816-541-3382 
Rye Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

Comments