Fast Breaking Deliciousness


Fast Breaking Deliciousness


In the last couple weeks, I’ve broke my fasting relatively early to try two different places on the Plaza for a real breakfast.  Not just coffee but a true breakfast with eggs and bacon and carbs and all my favorites which I never do at home.  There are really only two choices right in the heart of the Plaza for that and of course, that’s the iconic Classic Cup CafĂ© and then the new – to the area – Rye Restaurant, which maybe isn’t necessarily thought of as a breakfast place.

The Classic Cup is frequently touted for its long-term status, its people watching, its patios, its wine events, and its famous buttermilk pancakes.  Though I have long wanted to try their bread pudding and just call it a day, I typically opt for one of three benedicts or one of five omelets – though three eggs do make for a hefty breakfast.  Their French omelet is especially tasty – smoked bacon, spinach, apple and brie. I’m going to either get the nine hour pork and eggs or the migas next time.   They have a pretty large menu and you can take pancake mix with you.  I’ve made them just once; if someone would just cook and serve me, I’d certainly have these cakes more often.

Even more decadent, at Rye I started with one of Megan Garrelts’ amazing cinnamon rolls.  They aren’t those huge doughy ones;  each is about the size of an apple;  light, airy, and its creamy drizzled frosting is not an afterthought.  Splitting it with my friend was just about perfect since I knew I had a full meal coming.  Said friend ordered the eggs benedict whose eggs were perfectly done and he loved the hollandaise.  I opted for the Rye breakfast with extra crispy hash browns – loved that flat ½ cell phone size and ate every smidgeon, determined to think those potatoes done that way are healthy.  The number one item there is biscuits and gravy, and given the large and very fluffy biscuit that came with my meal, that has to be great, too.  The B&G expert I know needs to come here.  Fast. 

One other very cool thing about Rye I’ve not taken advantage of yet is that they have a small case of to- go items – from those rolls to muffins to a ham and cheese handpie.  Even small and delicious looking cakes.  Oh, and pies.  Pies.

Though both places are open at seven during the week, it did occur to me that by going later, I could shop after eating.  A full morning of indulging.  Nothing better.  


Classic Cup Plaza
301 West 47th Street 
Kansas City, MO 64112 
Ph. 816-753-1840 


Rye Plaza
4646 JC Nichols Parkway 
Kansas City, MO 64112 
Ph. 816-541-3382  

Comments