Ladies Who Lunched, Largely


Esteemed publisher Kathy Denis and I had lunch last week at Webster House, one of my favorite haunts.  Not that that old school is haunted in any sense of the word. 

They’ve freshened up their menu again which Chef Brandon Winn does seasonally at least, so we felt compelled to eat heartily.  The mushroom soup managed to be light but hearty with the mushroom flavor unmistakable – and the slices and chunks of mushrooms helped that of course.  Determined to be healthy, I ordered the house salad then said we’d split.  Kathy got the pan-seared scallops with butternut squash puree and an apple cider reduction and they were perfect.  Since I’d been so healthy so far, I then proceeded to wolf down most of the short rib tartine whose eponymous rib just dissolved in my mouth along with the caramelized onion and smoked pepper jam.  We shared both dishes (somewhat) and finally, sated, sat back and sighed happily.

And then our cute and very obliging staff person talked us into dessert, despite our bulging bellies (well, mine was, I won’t speak for Ms. Denis).  “It’s light,” he said, winningly.  “t’s delicious.  It’s the perfect finish.”  And the Blood Orange Bar, which tasted like a holy version of a dreamsicle, was all those adjectives.  But I’m compelled to add I think they should rename it even if it is made with blood oranges.  Something like “Citrus Tower” or “Orange Delight Bar” or even just “Dream Bar.”  But “A rose by any other name . . .” and you should
still finish up with this for lunch or dinner, no matter your belly.

And speaking of finishing off a terrific lunch, I next went downstairs and promptly bought a great scarf for myself.  What a treat-ful day. 


Webster House
1644 Wyandotte 
Kansas City, MO 64108 
Ph. 816-221-4713 
Located just south of the Kaufmann Center for Performing Arts


Webster House Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

Comments