2017 Memories

Thanks for the Memories, 2017

I’m a lucky girl as I get to eat out often.  A lot.  But when asked to come up with the best meals of 2017, I must pause, ponder, try to remember.  I would say that entire spectacular meals are tough to recall –  , well, not to recall beyond, “That was all wonderful,” which makes for really boring reading.  Instead, I tend to remember one especially wonderful dish which casts its glimmer on everything else to create that total glowing impression. So I’ll mention a few, briefly.

First things first.  That means, before dinner, a drink.  Surprise. I’ve been on an old-fashioned kick recently (well, the last ten years) so I think I’d pick the one made with Scotch at Porto do Sul or one of the newer riffs on the classics at Pierpont’s.  I also really like the aquavit tasting at the Krokstrom Klubb and Market – you drink these and your mouth even feels clean as your brain gets cold.

Since my perfect meal dream is going to include fish, I truly have remarkable choices in Cowtown.   I will start with the shrimp and grits at Webster House. Then I will chomp down on almost any fish Chef/Owner Carl Thorne is featuring at Story.  And I won’t be able to neglect Jax Fish House and Oyster Bar but will probably have to choose, ohmygosh, what?  The grilled ahi tuna on nori sushi rice rocks my boat.  I am compelled to also order a crab cake at McCormick and Schmick’s.

I really should have started with this paragraph.  “Eat Dessert First” is a motto to live by.  Frankly, it’s hard to decide among several.  But one is at the Hereford House which is known for its steaks, but their carrot cake is different from others I’ve tried – but even more rich and decadent.  Speaking of rich, when I want to calorie-splurge, I’d probably go for one of the creamy, divine cheese cakes at Grimaldi’s  Pizza.  Yes, pizza.  Or I might choose something chocolate at Andre’s (anything works there but I am especially fond of their coconut “Matterhorns” covered with dark chocolate.)  Or, and this one does surprise me, the chocolate peanut butter cookie at Tannin’s Wine Bar and Kitchen.


I could go on.  And on.  Too many choices, too little time.  But with a little more luck, I’ll expand my choices (and my waistband no doubt) in 2018.

What did you eat in 2017? 

Comments