McCormick and Schmick’s Happy Hour

More Than Happy Hour

The other day I was in McCormick and Schmick’s having a happy hour lemon drop ($7.00) and contemplating what a great happy hour they have – voted #1 nationally in fact by USA Today.  Their scrumptious fish tacos and a full-size burger (each just $5) or their seared ahi tuna or coconut shrimp ($9) are definitely just a few of the reasons I like it there.  Oh, there’s also the fact you can get a martini or Manhattan for $4.50.
Chocolat Bag

But I also had dinner there very recently and it, too, was very fine.  Our party of five was in one of the more secluded booths and we could hear each other speak while using our indoor voices, more and more a rarity these days.  The food was . . . exceptional, every dish. I had the almond crusted Idaho trout, perfectly pan seared with a butternut squash orzo – which I hadn’t planned on finishing since I knew we were having dessert – but I ate it down to perfect plate shininess.  One person had a huge lobster, another the crab plate, and two split the ultimate mixed grill that had stuffed and grilled shrimp, one large and perfect crab cake, salmon and more.  Everyone raved about their dish – and I noticed no one much shared.

We ended with two desserts, one the famous chocolate bag which was created in Kansas City years ago.  A thing of beauty (before we attacked it).  Dark chocolate, white chocolate mousse, fresh berries and whip cream – it may be part of my prisoner’s last meal. 


The Plaza has become less and less about local.  And this restaurant is one of Landry’s many across the country.  But it does everything right in a gorgeous space (with a cool patio) and it’s just a great place to go. . . which is why I consider it one of my favs.

McCormick & Schmick's
448 W. 47th Street 
Kansas City, MO 64112 
Ph. 816-531-6800 
Website


Comments