Happy Hour VI: I’m Happy When I’m North

Make that when I’m at North Italia Restaurant. (Which, as you probably know, is really south in Leawood at 119th and Roe.)  This Italian bistro is always upbeat and bustling but the other evening, make that late afternoon, I went for their happy hour, which I haven’t done for a while.  Their happy hour ends at 6 p.m. so going at three when it starts or a bit later makes sense.  At least to confirmed happy hour devotees like me. 

Drinks, at least wine and sangria, are cheap – five bucks for a glass and $16 for a bottle and beer is four dollars or the same $16 for a pitcher.  So I can start out pretty pleasantly. 

My favorite things are on the HH menu, short as it is.  First, the zucca chips which are light, crispy, and salty.  You get a big bowlful for three tiny dollars and I think only about the healthy zucchini I’m eating, not the oil and salt.

Their chef’s board is $10 instead of $16 and the assortment fluctuates.  Various meats, cheeses, and whatever is on the chef’s mind like roasted peppers or olives or almonds.  Always interesting and you can ask for more grilled bread.

The third choice is either their tomato or prosciutto bruschetta which is always tasty and filling.  I’m sure North hopes you’ll stay for dinner: Tuscan chicken or spaghetti and meatballs, or a traditional Bolognese or grilled branzino anyone? But then, I’ve been known to make an entire meal before 6:00 p.m.
Happy hour also goes all day Sunday and on those days and Wednesdays, you can get half off on any of their bottles of wine – and there are enough to choose from, about 30, all available by the glass as well.


North says their food is “handmade with love . . . from scratch daily.”  That seems true, even at their happy hour, which you should definitely try.  My opinion.


NoRTH Italia
4579 West 119th Street 
Leawood, KS 66209 
Ph. 913.232.5191 

website


North Italia North Italia Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

#HH #HappyHour #KC #KansasCity 

Comments