Chef du Jour, aka Spotlight

I like writing about chefs, mostly because most of them have so much more going on behind the plates you see. In this era of Celebrity Chefs and the countless TV shows, blogs, pages on Facebook, there are some real human beings out there who work incredible hours (usually) incredibly hard. And as near as I can tell, if you’re not Emeril Lagasse or Gordon Ramsey or Bobby Flay (I ate at Bar Americain a few weeks ago in NYC – and it was delicious, much as I wanted to think it would mostly be hype), being a KC chef isn’t going to make you a millionaire anytime soon. 

I’ve already written in this space about several chefs in town: Zeb Humphrey of North Italia, Brian Aaron of Tannin Wine Bar and Kitchen, Erik Hyre at Hereford House and Pierpont’s among others. I realize that while interviewing can be a precarious search for knowledge, it’s always interesting to summarize a life, a career, an attitude, and a personality into a few paragraphs. Because it’s an inherently unfair process, you have to be careful – much like trying to review a restaurant after only going there once or having the restaurant know who you are before, or as, you step into the place. That’s assuming they care who you are. 

So here’s my question for you today. What local chef would you like to know more about? I’ll talk with him/her and give you the real scoop about those who are envisioning and preparing your favorite meals. 

Let me know and if I choose your suggestion, I’ll send you a $25 gift certificate. Just think, we could have multiple winners! How’s that for a win-win for all of us?

Comments