May 6th is a Friday
And you know that means the on-going celebration party in the Crossroads called First Fridays. Adding to the hullabaloo is the grand opening of the KC Streetcar that day. Several fine restaurants in the area are adding to your enjoyment:
• Pierpont's has extended its happy hour this Friday – it starts at 11 a.m., woohoo, in their bar and extends to their indoor patio at 4 p.m. with piano music starting around 5 p.m. And they’re shucking up $2 oysters from 4 p.m. to close!
• Nara celebrates with live music by Matthew Shoaf and their Happy Hour with its extensive menu and cheap drinks starts at 3 p.m. and lasts until 6. Stay until 9 p.m. and see their unique sushi live display. We won’t describe it further.
• Tom's Town Distillery and Ruins Pub are neighboring up to celebrate the opening of the KC Streetcar by hosting a concert and outdoor party with live and DJ music, a draft tent sponsored by Ruins and mixed libations by Tom’s Town, and plenty of delicious food. There’s a breakdancing Boy Battle and live mural paintings, too. The fun begins at 6 p.m. on 17th and Main.
May 7th – Ride, Baby, Ride
Whether you’re a true equestrian or not, watching the Kentucky Derby is always fun. The people, the hats, the mint juleps, and oh, yes, the horses with their entertaining names and colors. Be at any one of these three places by 4 p.m. and you’ll feel you’re at Churchill Downs by the time it’s over at 7:30:
• Espirito do Sul, even though it’s Brazilian by way of Overland Park, is celebrating big time – just as much as if it were soccer. Their Facebook page will soon have their special menu. But it’s always a party at Espirito.
• Jax Fish House & Oyster Bar in the Plaza is serving their happy hour menu from 3-6 p.m. on this horse loving day, frosty mint juleps for just $6, and ½ price BTG champagne for ladies wearing Derby hats. Their giant screen puts the action close. For your reservation, call 816. 437.7940. And guys, break out that derby and bowtie – it’s your chance to look like the music man without having to sing.
• Sullivan's Steakhouse in Leawood adds live music to their celebration. Call them at 913.345.0800 to find out more.
So put May 7th down on your calendar as a day to celebrate, too.