Happy Hour II: Jax Fish House and Oyster Bar

The BigRedF Restaurant Group (their spelling) headquartered in Boulder recently has provided me two great happy hours.  We started at 4 p.m. when they opened . . . and just kept eating.  I think this is more than worth going to the Plaza for – and the fact there is plentiful parking through the Hotel Sorella entrance or off Belleview just makes it even more perfect.

Now, I don’t eat raw oysters any time of day, happy hour or not. Companions have told me they’re excellent.  At Happy Hour, there are 11 other items, ranging from $5 to $7 plus some oysters at $1.25 each.  The steamed mussels come in two versions and I loved the coconut milk with panang curry version, somewhat to my surprise.  The fried calamari with a lime aioli and even the tuna melt are delish as well – but every single thing we tried there, including the lump blue crab cake on the regular menu, spoke beautifully to us.

As befitting an excellent Happy Hour, there are five cheaper drinks, not all vodka, and their martinis are $7, well cocktails are $5, drafts are a dollar off and there’s a white and a red wine for $6.  Great bar atmosphere and friendly (and talented) bartenders should you want something more creative.


I was really happy at Jax.  I think you will be, too – if good food and drink do it for you from 4-6 p.m.  They do for me.

Jax
4814 Roanoke Pkwy 
Kansas City, MO 64112 
Ph. (816) 437-7940 


Jax Fish House on Urbanspoon

Comments