Cafe Des Amis

CAFE DES AMIS

At this time I feel that I need to right a wrong. I have read an unpleasant review of one of my ‘perfect restaurants of Kansas City’ on this blog, and, after further review (by dining there repeatedly), must come to their immediate defense.
Café Des Amis is still a perfect restaurant. My brother and I attended for my birthday, in January, and my wife on the weekend after Valentine’s Day, so I must testify with the following evidence:

Exhibit A: Guillome.
Guillome is the hardest working man in show business, from what I can tell. He’s always there, sometimes cooking, usually serving, mixing drinks, opening wine, a true jack of all trades. Didier has a jewel with this guy, and, let’s face it, he’s the reason why H1B visas were created in the first place. From the H1B visa regulations: “requiring theoretical and practical application of a body of highly specialized knowledge in a field of human endeavor”. Exactly.

Exhibit B:
Food, glorious food! Best Escargot in the world (read my review on the restaurant page for Café Des Amis). Duck braised for 17 hours!

Exhibit C:
France. The place reeks of it, in all its crusty, wonderful, delicious glory. From the old building to the creaky floors to the packed-in tables, I can think of no other place in town that so speaks of Europe to me. Going to Café Des Amis is taking in a bit of the old world without an 8 hour flight.

As an aside, what the hell are you thinking ordering Iced Tea at a French restaurant at dinner? Unless you’re a certified AA alcoholic in recovery, that is crazy-talk. If I had to choose, I’d put you on the pay-no-mind list too, knowing that I stood a better chance of getting a good tip from an experienced, WINE-BUYING diner at another table. Also, what first class restaurant ever includes a salad? The only decent place I can think of that does is Tatsu’s, and it’s as much of an anachronism as the plastic flowers in the dining room (although that salad is magical).
The only thing I’d change about Café Des Amis is that I’d expand the wine list somewhat. But that being said, this is a first-rate place coming from someone who knows first-rate places
--John Long

Comments