Aw, come on, you sweet thing, you

Sweet, Perfect Desserts at Pierpont’s

As much as I love desserts and writing about them (hence, this series), I have to tell you I seldom get to try three at once.  That is largely due to the malevolence called sharing. My portly companion and I feel too guilty usually to eat an entire dessert by ourselves.  Also generous friends usually know the sharing-with-me-rule but still, since they share usually, too, that reduces the choices. But the other day at beautiful Pierpont’s in Union Station, I tried three delicious desserts all by myself that you will love.
First thing you need to know it that for some of us, it’s hard to bypass the “Death by Chocolate Cocktails,” since they definitely qualify as a dessert with a bonus.  I am going there some day with friends just to try the Double Dutch Chocolatini, the Moondance Martini (Jameson’s, Godiva Dark Chocolate, Bailey’s, and Guiness), and the King Alexander.  My friends will have to give me tasting privileges on the other nine.  Pierpont’s also has an additional category called “Dessert You Can Drink” which is also pretty decadent.  I do want to try the Roasted Walnut (Kahlua, Norcello Walnut liqueur, and ice milk) or the Snickerdoodle (seriously, just go to find out). 

Anyway, back to “Delectable Edibles.”  I started with the spiced rum cake which was a delightful combination of a light, light spice cake topped with lemon sorbet sitting in a passion fruit coulis.  Then I went to a milk chocolate fluffy and smooth mousse torte whose bottom layer was a crunchy shortbread topped with a dark chocolate coffee ganache, with crème anglaise encircling it.  A simple presentation, this was a super chocolatey dessert, designed to satisfy the most aggressive dark chocolate fan.  And finally, I tasted (again and again to be honest) the white chocolate brioche bread pudding.  Now, not only do I think white chocolate is misnamed, never do I order it.  However, this was fabulous.  With thinly sliced caramel apples sliced on top, it is warm and flambéed at your table.  Oh my.  Rich.  Delightful.  Superlative. Chef Matt Barnes who devised this and all five desserts on their menu, told me they serve this as French toast on their yearly Easter and mother’s day brunches. I’m there.

I do hope new pastry chef Trish Minton keeps at least the bread pudding!  Her desserts will start debuting in a month or so and I’ll get back to you about them later.  And I still want to try the Sweet Potato Entremet – pecan sponge cake, Marsala mousse, sweet potato custard and chai tea crème anglaise so I’m going back soon.  I’m thinking it might go well with the Pumpkin Pie Martini. 


If not, I’ll just finish the dessert first and then relax with the martini.  I’m flexible.


Pierpont's
30 West Pershing 
Kansas City, MO 64108 
Ph. (816) 221-5111 http://www.kcrestaurantguide.com/restaurants/Kansas-City/MO/64108/Pierpont's/738



Pierpont's at Union Station Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

Comments