Thai Place

I had been planning to take my husband to Thai Place for the last year. We've moved to town two summers ago from the Bay Area I went for the first time with colleagues on a recruiting trip.I loved the atmostphere, and thought the food was excellent. When I asked him what he wanted for Father's Day, he said Chinese, and I said, "How about Thai? At first, the idea seemed inspired Seven p.m. on a Father's Day Sunday in Westport -- no lines, no wait, parking in front of the restaurant, and almost no families. The interior is exquisite, and during the day, sunlight comes in through big, inviting windows. The menus are elegant. The wine list is extensive and written by an expert. The list of beers on tap is impressive.

My husand and son disdained my carefully researched suggestions for the chef's favorites, and stuck with their Thai favorities. The chicken satay was tender and ample, but the peanut sauce was runny and the favors bland. The pork and chicken with white pepper and garlic were disappointing. The chicken was moist, but the pork was on a the dry side. Much of the flavor of the dish was concentrated in the scallions and cabbage underneath the meat; the part of the dish carnivores often fail to find. The duck I ordered was heavy and a bit salty. The worst part was that unlike Thai restaurants elsewhere, the portions were huge, with prices to match. This made it harder to order multiple dishes; if your initial choices don't work, it is difficult to justify a search for different flavors.

Comments